Thursday, March 22, 2007

Trying out with Beryl


All the computers in the lab have beryl installed except this one. I want to work more time with this Opensuse to test whether it is suitable for lab. This is particularly needed as 2nd yrs and 1 yr MCA students may find some distribution easier to work than other. So I decided to start my installation try out by beryl a xgl fork for desktop effects. This tryout seemed to be important to me because any way I have to install many packages in every system.

I came to the lab by 8.30 pm. Only 3 were there. Aishwarya on the right busy with her project. Dev in the corner trying out his project so do Yadu. Usually our lab gets crowded at night. Everyone seems to enjoying world cup. So luckily I got the computer I have to test on. I opened firefox googled beryl on opensuse. I got the page. I found the ways to install on it.

I first tried the straight forward way installing from yast2. Yast is suse's hardware and software manager. The main problem the lab facing now is the slow internet connection. It is not too slow but the speed is not consistent. So simply yast failed.

Meanwhile Dev was downloading some java parser, jdk packages. He told me not to delete any because he already have about 4 GB of software in that computer.

Then i tried rug, zypper and yum ; all failed. Then I read about smart a new package manager. I installed it from CD and tried. And after a couple of attempts everything was installed. You can read about smart here.

I tried to start beryl. I didn't install gnome.; so I am not able run beryl yet. But I got xgl running. I am satisfied with it for the moment.