Monday, March 19, 2007

First Installation in the Lab


I talked to Dal in the evening. He told me to use any distro you like. But use only one distro other it won't be easy to manage. And I know that very well. All girls are not same so are linuxes. I am now using OpenSuse in my comp so I decided to give it a try.


I came to lab in the afternoon and it was full. Jam packed; I found the target machine with Debian installed. I tried to boot it and it failed very simple. I Don't have any DVD's with me at that time. My OpenSuse and Fedora Core 6 DVDs are in BS's table. So I decided to come at night to have my first try in the lab.

It was 10pm when I reached the lab and FMB is here. Fine. If I have any doubt I can ask him. I poped the DVD into the drive and rebooted. And no tinkering with bios, it booted from the CD.

I chose the default installation and dialog lauched loading Linux kernel and then .......... nothing happened. What? Suse failed?

I tried once again. Still same result. I was frantically pressing the power button. I tried again chose the safe setttings and then again with acpi off and nothing happens. And all on a sudden my love with OpenSuse 10.2 seems to end and already started thinking about another distros. So i decided to give a last try.

I poped the DVD to drive choose the default installation. Then i went to the next PC fired up firefox and started browsing. It took 3 minutes i think. After 3 minutes of inactivity the first welcome screen is reached. And i am relieved. I partitions removed all partitions. Created partitons and chose KDE. I just want to try on this system so i chose only one desktop environment and I always prefer KDE to gnome because of its features.

And all this time I type installation is going on. And now it is completed and rebooted for initial configuration. It is downloading some packages from suse repos. It is almost 20 minutes and still not complete. i would have skipped this step. And OOPs there is no cancel button either. The net is very slow so i had no option buit to wait. It is already 11:15 pm and lab closes by 11:45. So i have to do something. I pressed Ctrl+Alt+F1 for the prompt. Stopped the yast using Ctrl+C and rebooted. To my surprise it picked by saying previous installation failed. I just have configure again. Done that now. And installation is complete now.

I don't have time to play with the system now. May be tomorrow.

No comments: